Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rhubarb

Rhubarb is a very popular vegetable in Germany.  Don't ever eat it raw, trust me, but when cooked it is transformed into nothing short of wonderful. I love that it isn't too sweet, but has a tartness to it.... So delectably different.

Here, in a restaurant in southern Germany, it is cooked with other berries and sugar, and served with some sort of vanilla sauce. Soon after I arrived home, I knew I wanted to make a rhubarb sauce to dress up desserts (among other things).  I found a recipe for strawberry rhubarb sauce on Recipezaar and it is delicious.  If you don't have the exact ratio of rhubarb to strawberries, it's okay - use whatever you have.  I tried it wish both fresh strawberries and rhubarb, but I think frozen would work just fine if it isn't the season.

In Germany, I've seen rhubarb paired with other fruit in fillings of cheesecake, pies, and tarts.  I've tried this sauce on ice cream, yogurt, pancakes, and even toast!