Monday, August 16, 2010

Trying new things

During this summer, I am not working at my before and after school program - but instead am a counselor at a Day Camp. Unfortunately, I do not have any influence on the kids' snacks there.  They eat the same snack twice a week: goldfish, fruit snacks, animal crackers, goldfish again... and I have learned that it is important to try to teach others (especially youngsters) to try something NEW and maybe, just maybe they will actually like it!

-Try swapping plain old cheez-its for some other type of cracker (wheat thins? Kashi crackers?)

I wasn't always so open to trying new things, but once I got to college, I figured it was the perfect time to experiment. I tried out new recipes, learned from new friends, and was definitely tired of eating boring DC food.  It still isn't always easy to step away from the familiar and comfortable.  For example, this past weekend, the boyfriend and I went out for brunch at one of our favorite places in Sacramento.  (Already have posted about this place).  I was tempted to get one of my favorite things since we hadn't been there for a while - but then I saw this very interesting East African Veggie Burger.
I really enjoy vegetarian foods but didn't know if this would be good. I'm also not very good at making decisions. :o( However, I told myself I was feeling adventurous and decided to order it. Good thing I did - it was yum.  And my boyfriend, who rarely would order anything vegetarian, tried it after I insisted and he thought it was pretty good too! I am trying to convince him that even very healthy sounding things can be quite delicious.

This was a wonderful way to end our not so adventurous weekend and kick off a new week. 

This week I am returning to my previous job as a site director for a before and after school program.  I am excited about being able to use my creativity with this new group of kids - and get them to try new things!