Monday, August 30, 2010

A Well Kept Secret

Who would have thought that an American breakfast place named Cindy's could turn into a Thai place called Kow Thai Restaurant by dinner time? 

I sure never knew this after living in the small town of Davis for 5 years. My boyfriend and I finally found out about this well kept secret when his coworker enlightened us.  (How did she know about it? Who knows...) When I came to visit this past weekend, we decided to try it out.  Kow Thai used to be Thai Dynamite and is now under new ownership, so I'm not sure how they compare, but I did enjoy it.  I had some Thai salad and then tried something on the menu that I had not seen on a Thai restaurant menu before - artichoke soup.

This soup was so delicious.  It is basically like a traditional Thai coconut milk with mushrooms soup, but they added artichoke hearts!

This is what it looked like, minus the chicken: (photo courtesy of Baby Kato on food.com)

I am going to try to make this some time, but with the artichokes, more mushrooms, and no chicken - because it was just perfect that way.  You can find many coconut milk soup recipes online, but I did not find even one that included artichokes.

Not only did I enjoy my food, but Harry enjoyed his stir fry and Thai iced tea (free refills here - not like some Thai places). I'm glad we decided to try it.  I love finding unique places that offer new things that pleasantly surprise me. The fact that it was hidden inside of a diner, with hardly any customers, did not take away from the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Comments? Have your own ideas?