Monday, August 2, 2010

A delicious salad...

I received an awesome cookbook for my birthday, Everyday Food - Fresh Flavor Fast, from my friend Jaclyn.  I decided to try the warm spinach salad with poached eggs to break it in.  If you ever need a quick and easy meal, this is a good one.  You can substitute so many things in case you don't have something in your fridge. I've actually made it a couple times since the first time I tried it. 

You will need (for 4 people):
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs white-wine vinegar
4 large eggs
6 slices of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 shallot, minced
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
12 ounces baby spinach (about 12 cups)


Step 1: Fill large skillet with 1 1/2 inches of water and heat over medium until bubbles appear on the bottom; stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar.  Poach eggs.
  ** Now this is really difficult and I've never had much luck so I decided to just fry my eggs over medium at the end.  But, if you'd like to give it a try, here are some tips.

Step 2: In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes; use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.  Cook shallot in rendered bacon fat until soft, about 2 minutes.  Carefully add remaining 1/2 cup vinegar, and boil over high heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, 2 to 3 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.

Step 3: In a large bowl, toss spinach with bacon and the hot vinaigrette.  Divide among four plates: top each with a poached egg (in my case, fried egg or two!).  Serve immediately!

I added cherry tomatoes to the spinach and piled the salad on top of two pieces of toasted whole grain Costco bread to make it more of a main meal.

The finished product: